Exporting a Creo Elements/Pro Part or Assembly into a STEP File
This technical tip refers to Creo Elements/Pro 5.0 (formerly Pro/ENGINEER Wildfire 5.0).
STEP is an international standard, defined in publications produced by the U.S. Product Data Association IGES/PDES Organization. Through STEP (Standard for the Exchange of Product Model Data), you can exchange complete product definitions between heterogeneous computer-aided design, engineering, and manufacturing systems. You can export the combined surface and solid data, and faceted geometry that is in accordance with AP203 and AP214 STEP multiple shape reps and hybrid models.
Before exporting to STEP, the desired output format can be specified by setting the configuration option step_export_format. A list of configuration option values is shown below: (Ref Figure. 1)
- Click Open from the Main toolbar. Select block_step.prt and then click Open.
- Click File > Save a Copy...
- From the Save a Copy dialog box, select STEP (*.stp) from the Type pull-down box.
- Accept the default name in the New Name box or type a new model name for the export and then click OK to export. (Ref Figure. 2)
5. Select the options to specify the content and structure of the output file by clicking the appropriate check boxes in the Export STEP dialog box:
- Wireframe - Outputs part edges only.
- Surfaces - Outputs all part surfaces and surface boundaries.
- Solids - Outputs surfaces with joining information
- Shells - Outputs only shells. Shells include surface topology information and enable the export of surface quilt and solid information.
- Datum Curves and Points - Outputs datum curves, cosmetic curves, sketched curves, etc.
- Facets - Outputs facets (only useful if the model being exported contains facet information.)
6. To Export layers, click Customize Layers. From the Choose Layers dialog box, select layers for export and click OK.
7. In Non-geometry, click Annotations to include annotations in the export.
8. Select a coordinate system for the exported model or accept the default selection
9. Click OK to export.
As of Wildfire 5.0, data exchange of nongeometric contents such as parameters, 3D notes, and annotations are supported. Annotations can be exported to STEP by setting the configuration option step_export_format to ap203_e2.
When exporting to a STEP file, step_export_format configuration option can be set to one of the following values:
- ap202_is to export the drawing using the AP202IS STEP application protocol and conformance class.
- ap203_is to export 3D models using the STEP application protocol and conformance class. This is the default in 3D mode.
- ap203_e2 to export the nongeometric data of 3D models using the AP203 Ed2 STEP application protocol and conformance class. The nongeometric data includes the material name and density, the user-defined parameters, and the assembly validation property to verify the number of child components of the assembly.
- ap209_dis to export the 3D model using the AP209DIS STEP application protocol and conformance. Use analysis packages for design studies. Does not export edges, boundary conditions, constraints, loads, mesh, and mid planes.
- ap214_cd to export the drawing using the AP214CD2 STEP application protocol and conformance class.
- ap214_dis (default in drawing mode) to export the drawing using the AP214DIS STEP application protocol and conformance class.
- ap214_is to export the 3D model using the AP214IS STEP application protocol and conformance class. Supports the exchange of nongeometric data and graphical annotations. The nongeometric data includes material name and density, the user-defined parameters, and the geometric and assembly validation properties. The assembly validation property verifies the number of child components of the assembly. (Ref Figure. 3)